Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Kevin, Josh and Evan

Kevin Koudys
South Lincoln

I think that the whole team is ready to drop into a deep sleep by this point. These past two days have probably been the most productive yet. The weather seems to be getting hotter as the days go by, although it may just be our fatigue. I'm really starting to enjoy the food here, despite the fact that I've eaten a month's worth of rice to this point. I think that I'm gaining a much needed few pounds to put on my frame. I think that the team has gained a lot of chemistry together as well as having our own social circles including the leaders. We are all good friends no matter our age, or rank of superiority, like Johanna, my Principal. We're in this learning process together and it's one for the memory books.

As time passes by and the days become hours, I've finally come to realize that although such a short period of time, much can be accomplished. The workers on the build site are very appreciative of our help, even if it is professional not level. If I owned a house, I would have to get a second mortgage because the amount of money I "owe" to Mr. Chanh for damaged bricks. I am obviously bad at breaking bricks in half, yet really good at breaking shovels into two pieces. I have been designated to floor supervisor and head of cement finishing. It's a position where I'm less likely to make mistakes. At least Evan and I didn't injure ourselves while looking like Spartans during our running of the sand. With the whole trip and build coming to a close, and Evan and I starved of Canadian/Western food, it's been an amazing ride. Love you Mom, Dad, Mary B and I guess Kelsey as well.

Stay Classy,
K. Koudys


Josh Durling
Eden High

As our time on the build site comes to an end, I'm seeing more and more of the gratefulness that the family and community have. It's amazing how the smallest things that we might overlook have so much meaning to them. Today was our last full day as tomorrow we're only working in the afternoon with a cultural activity planned in the community in the morning. It's very cool to see the house beginning to take shape and how this is impacting the family. The friendliness of the people here is also amazing. For the past three days, during the building, a family up the road has fed us an outstanding lunch, and tomorrow the community will be showing us how they prepare their meals during the exchange. It's sad to say that tomorrow is our last work day, but knowing that we have made a substantial difference in the lives of people here brings a smile to everyone.

Josh


Evan Elliott
E.L. Crossley

To think that this journey is almost over is upsetting, but that also means that the family we are doing this for is that much closer to living a proper life. This past week has been a life changing experience, and I am positive that I will come home a changed person. With just one day left on the for construction, we know that tomorrow is very important to get as much done as possible to help the family get into their new house even quicker. The general appreciation of the local people around us is overwhelming in a way, but is very heart warming. Today I feel was our most productive day of all, as the house is actually taking shape. Whether it's Kevin and I powering down the trail with the giant wheelbarrow filled to the top with sand, or others pounding the dirt down, laying the bricks or painting the roof pieces, everyone is ecstatic to contribute. There is that looming sense of missing home, but personally I can't wait to take another trip like this as soon as possible. The language barrier is proving to be a source of entertainment for everyone, rather than an issue. The local masons and habitat workers are having quite a time learning english, as well as teaching us vietnamese. To everyone at home, again I miss you all. Mom, I know you'll be reading this within 5 minutes of me posting this, because I know how much you enjoy it. I'll be home soon enough, love you all!

Evan Elliott

4 comments:

  1. Oh boys, it's so nice to hear the humour in your blogs. I can picture each of you saying the things your wrote. Kevin, you can't be good at everything. Maybe you should sing during the build, you're great at that. I really wish you could have taken your guitar as well. Kevin, Josh and Evan, maybe you will be part of another build someday and get to make new memories with a new family. Looking forward to seeing all of you on your return. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were right Evan...I look so forward to reading everything. It sounds like you are all getting as much out of this experience as possible. Not only will you change the lives of the build family, you will all be forever changed as well. I know I can speak for everyone in saying how proud we are of you all and are truly grateful to the wonderful group of leaders who have invested much time and care to make this happen for you all.

    Love Mom & Dad
    oxox ps. Guiness & Lizzie say hello :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been following your stories since the start of your journey, and I cannot express enough how "very proud" we are of each of you. The memories that you will keep with you, the friendships you have made will last you a lifetime and that you will be able to share with everyone when you get back home.

    Kevin - You need to know how very proud your dad and I are of you, and we cannot wait until you get back so we can hear all about this fantastic adventure....Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job guys. Keep up the hard work. Most lessons in life need to be experienced to really be learned. Looking forward to your safe return. P.S. Guiness & Lizzie didn't really say hi. I think your mother is losing it Evan!

    ReplyDelete