Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Simone, Anysa, Karen

Simone Hummel
Sir Winston Churchill

Days go by fast when you're working hard. In three days we went from a single brick line to door frames, to walls taller than me. I switched it up from wheelbarrowing and painting to bricklaying. It was a rough start but now I'm getting big thumbs up from the workers.

As for the team, we've seriously grown into one big family. There's nowhere else where it'd be this hot and we'd still be cracking jokes. Vietnamese, or not, we all have sore sides from laughing. It's hard to believe we only have a few days left; my heart sinks thinking I'll have to leave this behind. Thank you for your support and love you all!

Sim


Anysa McShane
Governor Simcoe

Xin Chao!
Once again, hope all is well on the other side of the world!

Today was great day as per usual! It was a very hot day, and we all worked so hard! There is not a muscle in my body that doesn't ache, but the satisfaction of what we are doing is more than worth every ache and pain! This afternoon, an older Vietnamese lady who had come to see the house grabbed my arm and squeezed it. With a huge smile from ear to ear, she spoke some English and said "Thank you! Thank you so much!" She made my day and really showed me how to be so grateful for everything I have. I am so sad to know the build is almost over. The last day is going to be an emotional day!

Love and miss you all!
Chao!
Love, Anysa xoxo


Karen Ngo
Westlane

Hi everyone,

Today was another interesting and busy day. A lot of sand was sifted, the floor is on the way and bricklaying continues. We rotated our jobs today to have different experiences. Whether we knew how to do our jobs or not, we all worked hard at them together. As we ache after a hard day's work, I feel sad to think we will only ache for 2 more days. Soon the family will be living in a house that they probably never imagined possible and I'm grateful and overjoyed to be part of this project.

I talked to Chu Lam, Chu Dung, Chu Chanh and Anh Cuong much more today and played a Vietnamese card game. Playing with the other DSBNi team members, I thought I had some strategy and skill, but when playing with the Vietnamese, it was an enjoyable loss each time. We all laugh as each person attempts to speak and understand another language. Despite the language barrier, we all embraced the challenge with smiles and open minds. The laughs and friendly calls from the workers throughout the site -- "Chi-oi~!" -- and the concerned looks on their faces when I carried something half my size, makes them feel like family. I will definitely miss the Vietnamese way of living; the love. Good night/morning!

Love,
Karen

4 comments:

  1. It looks like you girls are all going to have some wonderful stories to share with friends and family. Congratulations to all of you for persevering through such hot weather and continuing to work on completing as much of the house as you can. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you kids!! What an amazing experience for you. I just love reading your blogs, though they all move me to tears. I can't wait to hear everything and see all the pictures. Miss you and love you so much Anysa!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. just when you're posts are getting more exciting the internet connection at home is not working. and it was pouring rain up to yesterday evening (july 27). i woke up with no rain but it resumed again at midday. it's rain again, sun again, rain again day. it is still raining from slight drizzle to pouring. the internet connection is still not working but i decided to go out and find an internet cafe to post this. the one nearest our house was full so i had to walk the other way and found one that could accommodate me... sim: we, uncle ron and i, are so happy you could come over to this part of the world. he hopes to see you in person someday. i hope the connection will be restored soon so he can see the most recent ones posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You all worked hard to make a difference in
    the family. I am learning very fast that
    YOU ALL makes the Difference- you are ENERGIZERS. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete