Friday, July 29, 2011

Kevin, Josh and Evan

Kevin Koudys
South Lincoln

With the trip finally coming to a close, the one question that brings my thoughts, experiences and feelings all together is this: What will I bring home with me in my mind? All of these experiences can turn into memories, yet it takes moments in life to truly change. You can build a house for someone from ground up, but only when the homeowner smiles does it become a moment in life. A smile or thank you can be so little, yet mean so much to another. With a sign of hope and a life for the better, an adrenaline shot of happiness runs through the body. Now you may ask how will I possibly take this experience home with me? Helping someone else, showing initiative, being caring, and having empathy towards a person will always be a positive. You can make their day with such a simple act, and they will make yours, with just a smile or a thank you. That is it from DSBNi Vietnam 2011,

Stay classy,
K. Koudys


Josh Durling
Eden High

I can't believe that this is our last blog. I've had such an amazing time here in Vietnam! Today we had our closing ceremonies at the build site and the family was so happy with all of the work that we have done. Everyone was very emotional that our adventure has come to an end here in Vietnam, but I think that we're all excited to take what we have learned here back to Canada. For me, I want to take back what I have learned from the family and community. I've been able to watch and interact with the people here and they have shown me so much. They're always friendly and joking around. Before I came here, I thought that they wouldn't be as happy because they have so little. Now I know that it is not their possesions that bring them happiness, but it is each other. Their sense of family has shown me that it is not your house that makes a home, but it is the people you care about.

Josh Durling


Evan Elliott
E.L. Crossley

As the rain comes down, Vietnam seems angry at us for leaving. Today was our final day with the family and community around the build site. There were many tears, and even more smiles as everyone said goodbye and had hugs for each other. Some more emotional than others, but each person in their own way seemed to feel sad, but also overjoyed to see the smiles on the families face as they said "Cam On" or "thank you" to us. Today was the day where we really felt the gratitude that everyone had for what we have done, which was incredibly heartwarming. I am torn right now, because I really want to stay here as long as I can, but I also cannot wait to share my experiences with everyone at home. I have almost filled my camera up with pictures and video, and it seems I have to charge it every night because its always in use. All that is left for us in Vietnam to do is visit the Kindergarten school which I'm sure everyone is excited for, and then a wild sendoff night of karaoke after dinner. To everyone at home, I miss you, and I will be home tomorrow night!

"Chao" from Vietnam,
Evan Elliott

1 comment:

  1. Looking within yourselves, you've found parts of you that you didn't know existed. This opportunity has given you the chance to make positive changes in the lives of others across the world. Hopefully, the three of you will find a way to make a difference in the community that you live in as well. I'm proud of all of you for all your dedication.

    Kevin, I can't believe you'll be on your way home in just a few short hours. What an adventure for you and your new friends. I can't wait to hear all about it. :D

    ReplyDelete