Friday, July 29, 2011

Liz, Joelle, and Lauren

Joelle Schonberg
Stamford Collegiate

"The first thing in all progress is to leave something behind." -George MacDonald

Went to the airport. Flew to Hong Kong. Ate an asian pear. Flew to Vietnam. Saw a lot of mopeds. Ate pho. Took a photo. Swam on the roof of our hotel. Slept. Learned to cook like the Vietnamese. Took more photos. Took a bus to My Tho. Wrote a story for Evan with Liz. Ate spring rolls. Slept some more. Went to Unicorn Island. Ate a coconut. Ate more at dinner. Went to the build site. Met the family. Asked Karen how to say something in Vietnamese. Shoveled. Drank water. Shoveled some more. Got stared at for shoveling. Ate too much at dinner. Laughed at Lauren. Bricklayed. Got laughed at by local workers bricklaying. Took another photo. Went to a vegetarian restaurant. Wished we didn't go to a vegetarian restaurant. Finished our build site. Said good bye. Cried. Saw someone's life changed. Realized my life was changed too.

It's impossible to put what we've all experienced in the past ten days into words. Our time here has meant so much to so many people. It's true, we weren't just building a house; we built so much more. You can make a living by what you get, but you make a life by what you give. That is something that we all learned first hand here in Vietnam. For me this trip has shown me what a passion I have for helping people a world away and it's something I'll definitely be bringing home with me. I'm so grateful for this experience and would not have changed a thing (except maybe going to the vegetarian restaurant).

See you all back in Canada!


Liz Frechette
Grimsby

This is it. Our final day in Vietnam. It went by way too quickly, I wish I could stay here a little bit longer! It's crazy to think that what I've been preparing for, and waiting for since December is almost over. 8 months ago, our team first got together, we were strangers, but now we are a family. This team is amazing. We have experienced so much together and worked as one to get things done. I couldn't imagine being on this trip with anyone else! Today was our final goodbye to the family and local workers, and I wish it wasn't. That was the last time I would ever see them and I'm truly going to miss each and everyone of them. They have been wonderful to us this entire trip. We have shared some laughter, and some tears and some delicious Vietnamese food! These are the kind of people you never forget.

When we leave tomorrow, it's going to hard to say goodbye to this wonderful country. During my time here, I have learned so much and seen so many new things. This trip has changed my life and changed my perspective on things. I hope to do something like this again! I love and miss you all, see you Saturday! :)


Lauren Beaudoin
Welland Centennial

Chao!
I can't believe the end of our trip is coming so soon. I feel like we just finished unpacking, and here we are tonight having to pack everything back up. "Time sure flys when your having fun!" This whole trip was an experience of a life time, not only has it benefitted me, but this lovely family and their community. This trip opened my eyes to a whole new light. "Not everyone has a picture perfect life!" It's taught me that in hard times the best thing to do is stay positive and help in the best way you can! Thoughout this trip I have seen this occur many times in many different ways. Something that happened recently was when the neighbour to the family we are building for house burnt down, so the a bunch of neighbours came to help them build a new home from what they already had. I'm gonna miss the love shared throughout this culture once I get home. . . lots
It's so hard to say goodbye to this country, culture, and everyone in it. I will have to come back for sure, one day! We haven't even left yet and I'm already ready to come back!
I'm not ready for tomorrow to come, especially the 36 hour day travelling Saturday.
With lots of love,
hugs, and kisses,
Xoxox

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the stories! Safe journey ;-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have all learned many lessons during this opportunity. It will be so rewarding to you that you will always know you have family on the other side of the world who are so thankful to you for all you've done. See you tomorrow night. :)

    ReplyDelete