Saturday, July 23, 2011

Lauren, Liz, and Joelle

Liz Frechette
Grimsby Secondary

Hello all,

Life here is much more cultural than back at home. The food is different and takes time to get used to. The market was really busy and very hectic. I was able to buy lots of souvenirs for everyone too! There is a tiny gecko living inside my room as well. I might not sleep tonight. He is going to jump on my head in my sleep probably.

Joelle Schonberg
Stamford Collegiate

Ten months ago nine of us applied to go on the trip of a lifetime. Nine months ago we were all interviewed. Eight months ago nine of us found out we were going halfway around the world and in seven days we'll all be back in Canada.

I cannot believe we are finally here. After almost a year of planning and two days of travelling we made it to Vietnam. Since we've been here we've already been able to experience so much. A Vietnamese cooking class, shopping at the market, eating in the middle of a huge city and the rooftop of our 16 storey hotel are already things I know we'll never forget.

I'm excited to see what the Vietnamese people have to teach us. We may be here to build a home this week but we are building so much more; community, trust, friendship. That's what I'm most excited to see; not just cement and bricks. Can't wait to see you all and share my stories

Lauren Beaudoin
Welland Centennial Secondary

Bonjour Canada!!

I miss everyone back home and I'm looking forward to sharing all of my memories with you!

There is so much going on here, it's hard to soak it all in. Everything from the noise, to the darkness at night, to the change in smells everywhere. It's all just a huge change for me. I'm loving the food, completely. I've tried some things that I wasn't too fond of, but there's definitely tastes here that I'm going to miss.

I've noticed that I haven't had motion sickness problems here. It could be due to the fact that the cars on the roads all feel so slow. I find crossing the street here interesting. It's simple, you just have to start crossing and don't stop.

I'm excited to start meeting new people on the build and all of the children :) We met a couple of children today who smiled at us after our amazing Vietnamese cooking class. The class was an experience I will never forget.

I can't even explain the way I'm feeling right now, but it's definitely a life changing experience. I feel completely accepted and I feel great. I've gotten over the jet leg but all of the eating we've been doing keeps making us feel tired again.

Once again, I miss you and LOVE you all
Xoxox

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like everything is busy and noisy where you are. Embrace everything for what it is, even the friendly critters in your rooms. Everyone back home have all of you in our thoughts each day and are so excited for you. I know when the nine of you come back to Canada, you will all have a bond between you because of this great experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We may be here to build a home this week but we are building so much more; community, trust, friendship... thanks for that statement. i was a visitor to canada 4 times. and in those times i experienced community, trust, friendship. as the saying goes "you cannot give what you do not have." you definitely have them in abundance. thanks for coming to southeast asia. a long trip but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. about the eating. southeast asian countries seem to have eating as a national pasttime: breakfast, snacks, lunch, snacks, supper, before you go to bed. and in between those times you can grab whatever you find edible and pop it to your mouth. we had some guests once in the philippines from europe. they came up with a song: EATING HERE, EATING THERE, EATING EVERYWHERE... i have friends in east malaysia and it is worse there. i had a full dinner at 7pm. we went out at 9pm for SOME drinks and SOME food. it was a full meal with drinks.... thanks so much for your posts. reading them is a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look forward to finding out more each day. We appreciate your insites to this new adventure. Didn't realize how much I would miss my princess though ;-)

    Pops says...glad your having a great time; making new friends. Enjoy the culture and the people. We look forward to trying your new recipies and hearing your stories. Love Dad.

    ReplyDelete