Saturday, July 23, 2011

Kevin, Josh and Evan

Hey to everyone back home. I can already tell that this is going to be quite an experience! The culture is so much different than our western cultures. Maybe we just take everything for granted. We've already gone to the market, met new people, and even learned how to cook with a nice Vietnamese flare. I think I can speak on behalf of the whole team that this trip is truly inspirational. Although this blog isn't as detailed as you may have hoped for, there is always more to come. A big hug to all those back home and to the friends and families of the team, a very welcome greeting from the other side of the world. Stay classy my friends.

K. Koudys


The drive to Toronto seemed to take no time at all. Everyone was full of excitement, and looking forward to the upcoming days. The first step of our journey was a 15 hour flight to HongKong. I've never flown before so I had no idea what to expect. Thankfully the airplane had so many movies and T.V. shows to pass the time. Even in those cramped seats the time flew by, literally. Vietnam is 11 hours ahead of our time in Canada and it is not easy adjusting. When we landed in Hong Kong, many of us got a hamburger at a hotel restaurant because it would normally be supper time, but it was breakfast time in China. Thankfully we were able to go to bed last night very early (8pm). This helped tremendously with jet lag. The first step out of the Ho Chi Minh city airport was when I realized we were actually here. There was a huge crowd of people outside and the sounds of the city were loud and on going. I can't wait to experience the Vietnamese culture! I know already that this will be an amazing journey.

Josh Durling


Well here we are, finally in Vietnam. After a gruelling 28 hour travel day, it is ever so sweet to finally know were here. Upon arrival we jumped right into action by going out for lunch for our first real Vietnamese meal. Pho, which is basically soup is now my new favourite food. After lunch we left for the market, and to walk around and enjoy Ho Chi Minh city before heading to My Tho. After going to the Canadian Consulate, it was time for a very early night. Just laying in bed before falling asleep, it when it all slowed down and hit me, were really here. There are so many things to look forward to that I can't focus on just one thing. The Culture here is amazing, and everyone that lives here seems to alwasy be happy, which is something our culture could benefit from. After our cooking class today, we headed out to My Tho on the bus and entered an even more real version of reality. The poverty here is much more visible than Ho Chi Minh City, with older and smaller buildings and houses, but still the same overwhelming amount of scooters and mopeds. After a much slower paced day, there was time for us to relax and take in what is around us. As we adjust to the culture around us, it will be easier to understand why we are here. To everyone at home, I miss all of you and I can't wait to share everything that I've been through, and what is still to come.

Evan Elliott

4 comments:

  1. Hey guys! Wonderful to read your blog posts, I will be following you all as you progress on your trip. Looks like you three took the flight well, I know it can cripple some people with the time change. I hope you all enjoyed the Pho, as it is a staple in the Vietnamese diet. Keep your attitudes positive, and always seize every opportunity to embrace the Vietnamese culture. You have no idea what an impact it will make on you. Cheers gentlemen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope I am not going to cry everytime I read these blogs. I look forward to them and all that the group has to say. It's interesting to see each team members perspective on things. As you are all different, you will each appreciate different things about what you see and do in Vietnam. I'm glad you are all adjusting, and look forward to the next blog. Hugs from Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh little brother. I remember not long ago when it was YOU who was commenting on MY posts. It sounds like it has been an awesome trip so far. Just remember that it is a lot to take in, so if you sometimes need a few minutes to think, take those minutes because the things you will realize it that time, will be the things that change you. It can sometimes be the smallest things that will affect you in the biggest ways.

    Kiefer and Jesse say hi.

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. So great to read your updates! I am so proud of you all! Take it all in and remember to appreciate the small things that make us all different yet somehow the same!
    Everyone at the "bunhead" picnic today said to wish you a wonderful trip! Oxo

    ReplyDelete